Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Today: On Sezane, human rights lawyering, and wearing lipstick.



I can tell the crazy weeks of planning and meetings are over because just as soon as I stepped out of the office of a certain Middle Eastern/North Africa delegation, out went thoughts of human rights and international law. What came rushing in were thoughts of Spring: cotton/linen dresses from Ace & Jig; bright sandals that have been hiding in my closet; and this collection from Sezane, a French label that I have yet to try out.

Growing up in southern California, I, like many others, was taught to appreciate certain material possessions. At the same time, I remember gleaning the message that serious, substantial women do not patently relish makeup and beautiful clothes.

This messaging--that smart women do not spend time gushing over beautiful clothing--has somehow continued in my current line of work.  What I find refreshing is that I meet more and more amazing women who dispel this notion all together. That struck me this week, as I was surrounded by international human rights lawyers, many wearing gorgeous frocks and bright lips.  It made my heart sing.

In my previous life in Portland in corporate law, I remember meeting a woman who harkened back to her early years as a lawyer.  Then, she recalled, she had to play down her femininity, opting for masculine wear that demonstrated that she was "one of the boys."  She commented quizzically on how the times had changed, how young female lawyers were now so "free" to look "so feminine."

I could go on and on, as this messaging really peeves me, though I ought to be getting ready for work. These days, I am thinking more about femininity and what values I will pass on to my daughter.  I'll save that for another post.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Congratulations on your impending arrival.

    I, too, have been thinking a lot about I'll pass on values to my child. Treating women with respect and admiration is a top priority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joyce! We're very excited. It's been a humbling experience for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this post. women should not have to think twice about being both strong and style-conscious. i find myself second-guessing decisions to write about fashion and beauty - i'm sometimes afraid that admitting to liking those things could mean losing respect as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ridiculous isn't it? I grapple with this in my daily life. I derive joy from small details such as a beautiful, colorful dress or even applying mascara, but I am conscious of these things, particularly in professional settings. I also work in this weird confluence of environmental and human right law and I think the enviro side is a little more judgey when it comes to appearance - I'm painting with broad strokes here but that's my experience so far. I also think that being an Asian woman, who is smaller in build and maybe younger-looking, compounds the situation to some degree - I always feel "young"... I think people's perceptions can't change if we ourselves aren't willing to demonstrate that it's a false dichotomy. Anyway, I am rambling again.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! What wonderful news.

    These issues shape so much of my research (as well as my life). I think it's important to reclaim femininity as something more complex and empowering without falling into a too easy "girl power" trap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Moya. We're excited about her arrival.

      And well put.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...